Purple sweet potatoes’ vibrant hue and natural delicacy have taken the culinary world by storm in recent years. In addition to their stunning appearance, these nutrient-dense tubers offer a tasty variation on traditional sweet potatoes and a variety of culinary applications. So, what to make with purple sweet potatoes?
From flamboyant purple mashed potatoes to purple-hued desserts and beyond, purple sweet potatoes have limitless culinary applications.
In this article, we will delve into the exciting world of purple sweet potatoes and investigate a variety of delectable dishes that can be prepared with them, thereby enhancing the color and flavor of your culinary repertoire.
What To Make With Purple Sweet Potatoes?
Purple sweet potatoes are visually striking and rich in antioxidants and nutrients. They offer a slightly different flavor profile compared to regular sweet potatoes, with a more earthy, wine-like taste. Here are some creative ways to use purple sweet potatoes in your cooking:
- Purple Sweet Potato Fries: Slice the potatoes into wedges or sticks, toss them in olive oil and your choice of seasonings, & bake until crispy.
- Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes: Boil or steam peeled pieces of purple sweet potatoes until tender, then mash them with butter, milk, and a pinch of salt. In addition to garlic and cream cheese, you can also add garlic for added richness.
- Purple Sweet Potato Soup: Combine cubed purple sweet potatoes with shallots, garlic, and broth to make purple sweet potato soup. Simmer until tender, then purée into a smooth broth. Add coconut milk to tropicalize the dish.
- Stuffed Purple Sweet Potatoes: Roast whole purple sweet potatoes, then slice them open and fill them with a mixture of black beans, corn, avocado, & a drizzle of lime or lemon juice.
- Purple Sweet Potato Hash: For a colorful breakfast hash, dice the potatoes and sauté them with onions, bell peppers, and your preferred protein, such as sausage or tofu.
- Purple Sweet Potato Gnocchi: Form gnocchi from mashed purple sweet potatoes, flour, and egg, then simmer until they float. Serve with sage-brown butter or Alfredo sauce.
- Purple Sweet Potato Pie: Use mashed purple sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, and spices to create the filling for this visually spectacular pie.
- Purple Sweet Potato Pancakes: Incorporate mashed or grated purple sweet potatoes into your pancake batter for a colorful breakfast treat.
- Purple Sweet Potato Smoothie: For a nutritious smoothie, combine cooked purple sweet potato with banana, almond milk, & a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Purple Sweet Potato Muffins: To add color and moisture to your beloved muffin recipe, mash purple sweet potatoes.
- Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream: Combine pureed purple sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and sugar in an ice cream maker to create a creamy base.
- Purple Sweet Potato Chips: To make purple sweet potato chips, slice the potatoes thinly, coat them in olive oil, and bake them until they are crisp. Use sea salt or other seasonings to season food.
- Purple Sweet Potato Hummus: Cooked purple sweet potatoes are combined with chickpeas, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice to create a zesty variation on traditional hummus.
- Purple Sweet Potato Salad: Cube and roast the potatoes, then combine them with greens, almonds, and a tart vinaigrette in a salad.
- Purple Sweet Potato Gratin: Layer purple sweet potatoes, cream, garlic, and cheese, then bake until tender and bubbling.
- Purple Sweet Potato Rolls: For colorful dinner rolls, incorporate pureed purple sweet potatoes into your bread dough.
- Cooking Methods: Similar to traditional sweet potatoes, purple sweet potatoes can be roasted, simmered, steamed, or microwaved.
- Color Preservation: To preserve the vibrant color, avoiding cooking purple sweet potatoes in overly acidic conditions is best.
- Pairing Flavors: Purple sweet potatoes complement both sweet and savory flavors, including cinnamon, ginger, coconut, citrus, and herbs such as rosemary and thyme.
By incorporating purple sweet potatoes into your meals, you can add color and nutrition to various dishes.
This was all about what to make with purple sweet potatoes. Purple sweet potatoes are more than just an eye-catching addition to your plate; they also impart a unique fragrance and hue to your culinary creations. From savory dishes such as purple gnocchi to delectable desserts such as purple sweet potato pie, these tubers offer an abundance of culinary options.
Incorporating purple sweet potatoes into your culinary creations will undoubtedly add a touch of elegance and flavor to your dining experience, whether you’re attempting to dazzle your dinner guests or simply looking for an exciting twist on classic recipes.
Thank you for reading!
Read more: How To Make Cheese Sticks With Bread?