Homemade bread, with its warm, inviting aroma and wholesome goodness, has the power to transform an ordinary day into something truly special. Among the myriad bread varieties, there’s something uniquely satisfying about a loaf of homemade wheat bread. So, how do you make homemade wheat bread?
Crafting this simple yet deeply comforting staple is a rewarding journey that allows you to savor the taste of fresh-baked goodness straight from your oven.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the art of making homemade wheat bread. Get ready to fill your home with the enticing scent of freshly baked bread and savor the delightful results of your efforts.
How Do You Make Homemade Wheat Bread?
Homemade whole wheat bread is not only a healthier alternative to store-bought bread, but it’s also a versatile ingredient in your kitchen that can be used in a variety of ways. Plus, the aroma of freshly baked bread is hard to beat. Here is homemade wheat bread recipe:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Rise Time: 1-1.5 hours
- Baking Time: 30-35 minutes
- Total Time: Approximately 2.5-3 hours
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water (about 110°F or 43°C)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Activate the Yeast: Combine the warm water & honey or maple syrup in a small bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture, give it a quick stir, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy. This indicates that the yeast is active.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: Combine whole wheat flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Form the Dough: Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil or melted butter. Stir until the ingredients come together into a rough dough.
- Knead the Dough: Put the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead it for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. You may need to add a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- First Rise: Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, afterwards cover it with a clean kitchen towel or even plastic wrap, & let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1-1.5 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Shape the Loaf: Punch down the dough to remove excess air after the first rise. Turn it out onto a floured surface and shape it into a loaf. You can easily use a standard loaf pan for this step.
- Second Rise: Place the shaped dough into a greased loaf pan. Cover it again and let it rise for an additional 30-45 minutes or until it has come out just above the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) while the dough is on its final rise.
- Bake: Once the dough has risen, put it in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes. The bread is done when it has a golden-brown crust and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool and Serve: Allow the fresh bread to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then reposition it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Enjoy: Slice and enjoy your homemade whole-wheat bread! It’s great for sandwiches, toasting, or simply with a pat of butter.
This recipe yields a hearty, wholesome whole wheat bread with a lovely crust and soft interior. Enjoy the delicious aroma of freshly baked home made bread as you savor each bite!
- Room Temperature: Store your homemade whole wheat bread in a bread box or airtight container at the room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
- Refrigeration: To extend its shelf life, you can refrigerate the bread for up to a week. Wrap it in plastic wrap or place it in a plastic bag to keep it from drying out.
- Freezing: For longer storage, freeze the bread. Slice it before freezing so you can easily thaw individual slices. Wrap slices in plastic wrap & then aluminum foil before freezing. It will last in the freezer for about 2-3 months. To thaw, leave it at room temperature or toast it.
- Make sure the water is at the correct temperature (110°F or 43°C) before adding yeast. Allow the yeast mixture to rest for approximately 5 minutes or until it becomes foamy.
- Knead the dough for approximately 8-10 minutes or until it becomes smooth and elastic. This helps the gluten to develop and provides bread its structure.
- Permit the dough to rise in a warm, draft-free location. To cover the basin, it is recommended to use a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. It should approximately double in size during this time period.
- In order to bake bread, preheat the oven and position a pan of boiling water on the rack beneath the bread. This generates steam, resulting in a crusty baguette. Bake until the bottom of the bread produces a hollow sound when struck.
- After baking, let the fresh bread cool on a wire rack for a of minimum 30 minutes before slicing. Cutting it too quickly may cause the interior to become sticky.
- A straightforward and delectable treat is a slice of warm, homemade whole wheat bread with a pat of butter or drizzle of honey.
- Make sandwiches with your preferred fillings, like turkey, avocado, or grilled cheese.
- Toast portions of bread for breakfast and serve with jam, peanut butter, or cinnamon and sugar.
- Create a classic BLT sandwich with succulent bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.
Thank you for reading!
Read more: How To Make Ice Cream With Home Ingredients?